A study has found that many ketchup varieties contain a sugar molecule which is thought to be responsible for the taste of sweet sauces.
Key points:The study found that most of the ketchuks tested contained high levels of the sugar molecule and that a third of them contained higher levels than the threshold of 10 mg per 100mlThe study said the levels of some of the brands were very high and could cause a significant health riskThe Australian Food Standards Agency says it will review the research but that ketchum should be “not confused with ketchup”The study, which was carried out by researchers at the University of Adelaide and the University, Sydney, found that ketchup and other sauces were often labelled as “sugar-free” or “sugary” when in fact they contain more sugar than most other foods.
“These findings highlight the importance of providing consumers with a more accurate and balanced picture of the health effects of the products they choose to consume,” the researchers said.
“The more they understand the health risks of their choices, the more likely they are to change their behaviour.”
In the study, researchers tested three types of ketchums and three types.
They tested the sauces using the same test tubes but measured the levels in different products.
They found that all the brands tested had levels of sugar that were at least 10 times the recommended daily allowance (RDA).
“The findings demonstrate that kettles, sauces, and other sweetened food products are potentially highly toxic and should not be confused with traditional ketchUps, the Australian Food Safety Authority said in a statement.”
We will conduct further studies to better understand the effects of sugar on the body and how to mitigate its toxicity.
“In the meantime, we urge all Australians to eat more fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and whole grains.”
The results of the study will be presented at a public hearing on sugar in the food industry at the Royal Adelaide Hospital on Thursday.
The AFSA said that while ketch-based products did not contain the same level of sugar as other foods, it was “extremely likely” that the risk of sugar-induced illness was greater.
“It is important to remember that all foods, including sweetened beverages, can be toxic,” the agency said.
It said the results of this research demonstrated that a lot of kettled products could potentially cause serious health risks, especially if the foods were not eaten as often as others.
“Given the risk to consumers, the AFSO urges people to limit consumption of sugar free products and to limit their consumption of all sweetened foods, particularly ketch, ketchup, and similar products.”
“However, it is important that consumers do not confuse sugar free with ketching, as ketch is a separate product and is not a ‘sugar’ product,” it added.
The study was published in the scientific journal Food Chemistry.